Monday, May 7, 2012

A Simple Name Change Can Help Link Your Stories

     It is amazing how the simplest change can link one story to another. In my writing I am linking previously published stories to others that have not yet been published. In doing so I realized, of course, that names must remain consistent in all the stories.
     One of my published stories, The Black Umbrella, which appeared in the 2008 Edition of The Westchester Review, was about a member of the first generation of my fictional extended family when he was an old man. This character's name was Sam.
     I have since written several other stories about the family and realized that I had also used the name Sam for a brother-in-law in that first generation.  All of these first generation people appear in one story, and as I began to draw a family tree, with its marriages, divorces, births and deaths, I settled, once and for all, on each character's name.  The brother-in-law in that first family became 'Sam.'  The old man needed a different name; he became 'Max.'
     I went back to The Black Umbrella, nicely stored in a folder on my computer, and, with a simple "Search and Replace" function, changed Sam to Max throughout the story.  I saved the story in a new folder, called Linked Stories.
     To underline the connection, I also wrote a new sentence in which the old man, who was already looking at a wall of old family photographs in one scene in the Black Umbrella, sees a sepia colored wedding photo of his brother-in-law and sister.  Thus these two men are forever linked to one another in two completely separate stories which trace family lives over four decades.

No comments:

Post a Comment